A Charge Of Possession Can Ruin Your Life
Get the facts about drug charges.
Drug-related offences are taken very seriously in Canada. A conviction on drug charges can result in significant fines, lengthy jail terms and even the loss of your home or other property. A drug charge is not something that you want to deal with on your own.
Frank Genesee, a skilled criminal defence lawyer servicing the Hamilton area, has the experience that you need to ensure the best possible outcome in your circumstances. Don’t leave your future to chance. A conviction on drug charges could ruin your life. Contact Frank Genesee today at (289) 426-1644 and get the advice that you need before you enter a plea.
Are there alternatives to going to court?
Pleading guilty is not the only way to avoid a trial. Frank Genesee can outline all of the options available to you. Depending on your circumstances and the specific charges that you face, your options may include:
- Participation in a diversion program (if you have been charged with possession of a small amount of controlled substance or possession of paraphernalia). A diversion program, if one is available, may enable you to avoid a criminal conviction.
- Enrollment in a drug-treatment program (if a drug addiction led to your charge, the successful completion of a drug-treatment program may make you eligible for a diversion program, may form part of a plea bargain reducing the charges against you, or may result in a lighter sentence if you are convicted).
- Negotiating a plea bargain.
Frank Genesee knows which programs are available to you and which prosecutors to contact to ensure your involvement in an appropriate diversion or drug-treatment program.
Possession of a controlled substance.
Don’t make the mistake of assuming that the courts will deal leniently with you because you have “only” been charged with the possession of a small amount of a drug, such as a charge of possession of marijuana. This is not always the case.
While it is unlikely that you will be sentenced to a jail term unless you have prior related charges or there are other aggravating circumstances, the consequences that you face may be far more severe than you realize.
If you are professionally employed, a conviction on a simple drug possession may cost you your livelihood. Professionals are usually required to disclose a drug possession conviction to their regulating bodies, which can impact their ability to remain licensed to practice.
A conviction on a drug possession charge can also limit your ability to travel for business or pleasure.
With potential consequences this severe, you can’t afford not to contact Frank Genesee today.
Cultivation or manufacture of drugs.
Many people assume that laws dealing with marijuana are enforced more leniently than laws relating to other drugs. This is not true. In particular, laws dealing with marijuana grow ops and charges relating to the cultivation of marijuana carry severe penalties.
In addition to significant fines and jail terms, you may be facing the loss of your home if you are convicted of charges related to the cultivation or manufacture of any controlled substance.
Drug trafficking and other serious drug charges.
Federal laws dictate the fines and jail terms that should be imposed on those convicted of drug-related offences. Some drug-related offences have a mandatory minimum sentence, which means that the judge does not have the discretion to order a more lenient sentence, even if they feel it would be appropriate in the circumstances.
Those convicted of the following offences will receive significant fines and jail terms. Call Frank Genesee immediately if you are charged with:
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking.
- Cross-border importation of drugs.
- Possession of precursors (ingredients used to manufacture drugs).
- Trafficking of prescription medications.
- Drug cultivation, production or manufacture.
- Conspiracy and criminal organization offences (gang-related offences).
What Frank Genesee can do to help.
Trials dealing with drug-related offences are complicated. They often involve evidence obtained from informants, wiretaps, and evidence obtained using search warrants.
Frank Genesee will be able to tell you whether:
- Any police search was performed illegally.
- The seizure of evidence was lawful.
- You have an argument that certain seized evidence cannot be used in court.
- A search warrant was issued and whether it was executed according to its terms.
- There was probable cause to issue the search warrant or allow a wiretap.
Frank Genesee will analyze the quality of the evidence against you and provide you with invaluable advice about how to proceed so that you can expect the best possible outcome. Don’t take chances when the penalties imposed upon conviction are so severe. Call Frank Genesee today!